Wednesday, November 12, 2008

outdated post...

Daddy is going to Japan with Ben on the 9th. And last Saturday, I decided to clean my room. Initially, I thought just cleaning up those old junks that have been stacked in the room ever since my brother took my room. It’s like a storeroom.. ok la.. I know I’ve been promising myself to clean my room since like… last year?? But never did cos Shorty and Fatty moved my stuff, when Fatty took over my room, without waiting for me letting me choose my room and decided that I take over my late grampa’s room and just chuck everything inside. Including their unwanted-but-still-want-to-keep stuff in it!

So cannot blame me for procrastinating la..

So many things to clean!

Daddy’s going to travel for a week, so I had to stay home to look after my gramma, I HAVE to clean it no matter what la..

Cleaning is not enough, daddy asked me to switch room with gramma cos her room is actually my old room, got air cond. Very long never turn on cos gramma only use fan.

SWITCH room again. So means more things to clean and throw and organize!

So back to last Saturday, I woke up at 9a.m (9a.m on a weekend is miracle) and getting ready to go back home from Smelly’s place. Just when I’m about to call daddy to confirm that I’m going back to clean and switch rooms, he called… and asked if I could go down town to take some medicine for gramma. She’s not feeling well since the night before. She’s been “poo-ing” non-stop. I got worried so I offered to drive her to the clinic, which is in Pudu cos grampa used to go there, it’s his doctor.

I went home and there she was… sitting on her rattan lazy-chair, watching tv. I asked if she still feels sick, she said she’s not sick. Then, I asked the maid to get her ready to go clinic. I told gramma we’re going to see the doc, she refused and said she’s not sick. The maid came out and said she doesn’t want to shower… she told me she didn’t want to put on the adult diaper and urinated there. I looked down to see a yellow patch of watery marks just below the chair. My heart sank.

I felt sad for my gramma.

I tried convincing her to take a shower. Hold her hand and asked her to follow me… “come… I bring you… follow me,” I said. Somehow, she took my hands and started walking.

Phew! Relieved that she finally agreed to shower.

She have to walk very slow cos her bones are weak. After few drags of steps, a sudden rush of pungent smell flow through the air. I looked down. Thick stream of dark brown juice flowed down thru her pants, making tiny dripping sound… as she continued dragging her slippers, trying hard to walk, I can hear the squeezing sound made by the slippers, results of the encounter with the thick liquid.

“ahh.. sudah berak…” (ahh.. she poo-ed…) my maid said, holding her left hand, me on the right.

We couldn’t do anything but to continue walking to the bathroom, which is still about 15-18 feet away.

My heart sank deeper.

I look at my gramma, she’s trying so hard to walk and when she looked at me, she just gives me her usual smile. Like nothing happened.

She doesn’t know she have no control over her bladder and rectum (is that what you call it?). And she’s dementia. Can’t do much but to try talking to her as much as possible.. Sometimes, she remembers a lot of things. Sometimes, she remember me as her neighbor...

We had hard time trying to get her to the clinic cos she doesn’t want to go out. She’s always afraid to go out from the house. Maybe because she’s afraid that we’ll send her off to somewhere and leave her alone there. She held my hand very tightly when I helped her walk towards the gate. Every few steps she took, she’ll stop and say, “I don’t want to go.” Then, I’ll say, “It’s ok… just follow me..” and she’ll walk another few steps and say, “I don’t want to go.” This repeats for few times before I had to carry her into the car cos it’s almost 12p.m and it got very hot.

Everything went well in the clinic. Got some supplement and diarrhea pills for her. A lil bit of trouble getting her out and in the car…but other than that, everything went smoothly. She even remembers my name when we reached home.

So after a week, I went back home again to do a final clean up for my room… my dad told me that after all the supplements and pills, she can walk better. I saw her and her face glowed. I think she’s getting better now. She doesn’t even need us to hold her when she walks now. I guess the supplement worked a lil… but daddy also told me that she’s not been visiting the toilet for the whole week…

Hmm…

No comments: